Here in San Diego the big thing to do on a Tuesday night, is to go out and stuff your face with some of the best darn lobster and/or fish tacos you can find. Drown them with a few cervezas like Tecate or Corona and call it a night. Even though it’s fun to splurge, the recipe below is a healthy twist on a taco night that is simple, super easy and a delicious alternative.
Ingredients you will need for your “tacos” or umm…. lettuce wraps:
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups freshly diced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups either cut up pork or tofu
- 3 large carrots I use a potato peeler and create thin strips of carrots for this dish.
- 1 cucumber deseeded and diced
- 2 radishes thinly sliced – again i just used my potato peeler to get really thin slices.
Sauce for your tofu or pork:
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tsp white rice vinegar
Mix all three ingredients and Sauté your pork or Tofu, red peppers and mushrooms in this sauce until finished.
The best part the Dipping Sauce: Simply mix all ingredients together and set aside for dipping!
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 tablespoons sesame oil
Voila! You’ve just finished making a delicious dinner. This shouldn’t take more than a half hour to throw together and have on the table. This makes about 12 small lettuce wraps which feeds 3 people. Keep in mind you can make this gluten-free by simply cutting out the ketchup and using tomato paste and using gluten-free soy sauce. Happy Healthy Eating!!!